Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day, Joy!!!

This is my mom, Joy Natalie Garner. Isn't she beautiful? My mom is the best mom in the world. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks so. And I also know that my sister & brother are not the only other ones who think it either. The Sierra Madre, as we like to call her sometimes, is just one of those people who brightens and improves the life of anyone who comes in contact with her. She is and has always been incredibly thoughtful, compassionate and kind. She has a fantastic sense of humor and loves all kinds of music deeply. Her wickedly clever wit make conversations with her a real treat (and she simply CANNOT be beat at Trivial Pursuit cause the woman is so damn smart!). Her open-mindedness and utter "coolness" have always made all my friends jealous that they weren't one of her babies, too. I'm one of the luckiest people I know because I have a Mom I have always respected, admired & loved.


Here's some examples of why:



  • she weathered an unhappy marriage and divorce, struck out on her own and made a new life for herself (and for me & my sister). She worked her ass off to support us (my father was never much help to her in any way) & even managed to spoil us, most the time. I could never even conceive of making the sacrifices she did to keep us together & taken care of.

  • she always made sure we got exactly what we wanted for our birthdays & xmas. She out-right spoiled us rotten for even the smallest holiday or event. It's sometimes uncanny how good she is at picking out the right gift for someone.

  • her love of music and the arts has inspired and informed me my whole life. She loves everything from hip hop to opera. She loves oldies & current top 40 stuff to this day. I've burned her OutKast, Blackalicious, Nick Cave & Bonnie Prince Billy- all at her request! She's just too damn cool for school. And anyone who has seen Joy "crunkin"- knows she really truly has got the groove in her soul!

  • she has an amazing green thumb! Everything she touches grows & blooms & prospers. I'm so thankful that I grew up watching her garden & grow as it inspires me to this day.

  • she is an amazing artist in her own right. She'll deny it- but she is. Her drawings are simple but clever. She was a super cool puppeteer in the 70s. The puppets she made were the neatest ever! She's designed & sewn costumes that are easily nicer than what most costumes shops keep on hand. And her home is it's own masterpiece. I know she's in the process of re-inventing that work right now- and I can't wait to see the finished product!

  • she has always been extremely generous. She practically raised some of my childhood friends as they were ALWAYS at my house- for every meal and adventure. To this day she opens her home & her heart to those closest to me. That's why my 3 closest friends all call themselves her "baby quadruplets". You may not hear from them today- but I know all yer baby quads are thinkin bout you, Mama Joy!

  • she is a fantastic cook. If anyone has had my chicken almandine, salmon patties, home fried taters & onions or marinated pork loin- those are all recipes I grew up with & got from Joy. And anyone who has been to a party or gathering at her home knows what kind of spread the woman puts out. It's amazing! I directly attribute my love of cooking, eating good food & being the consummate hostess to my mom.

  • she's one of the best friends I've ever had. I can tell her almost anything- and not worry about getting scolded or judged. Even tho I'm her baby, she has always treated me with respect and regard for my intelligence and independence. She has encouraged me to take chances and live my life- and I could never show the depth of my gratitude to this amazing woman.


I love you, Mom!!! I hope Lora & Taylor are spoiling you rotten today since I live so far away & can't be there to help. I'll make you an extra special meal next time I'm home- promise! Think of it as one of those coupons I used to make for you when I was a kid- "I.O.U. a special home cooked meal of your choice- with all the fixins and dessert".

Now- writing this has made me all homesick & weepy so I gotta go blow my nose...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, Lacey, and this made me cry ... thinking about how Joy would send stuff up to you in Chicago and even started putting in stuff for you to share with me - before she even met me! And then, when I finally met her, it was just as if I were her kid and she knew all the things I would like before I ever said. Her thoughtfulness astounds me - and her impeccable taste. I wish I knew her more and better. She would make a great model for motherhood, because clearly you love and cherish her and have been so inspired by her. As a mom, knowing that my daughter thinks I am THE SHIT, would be the greatest Mother's Day gift ever. I love and miss you both! - Tiff